♠The Hindu Review♠
♦ AF pilot Abhinandan Varthaman to be awarded with Bhagwan Mahavir Ahimsa Puraskar
- Indian Air Force Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman will be the first recipient of the ‘Bhagwan Mahavir Ahimsa Puraskar’ instituted by the Akhil Bharatiya Digambar Jain Mahasamiti, a functionary of the organisation said Sunday.
- Varthaman, piloting a Mig-21 Bison, shot down a Pakistan Air Force F-16 with an R-73 air-to-air missile in a dogfight on February 27 before his aircraft took a hit and he had to eject.
- He was captured by Pakistan forces soon after and was released on March 1.
- The award for the fighter pilot was announced in New Delhi by the organisation’s chairperson Manidra Jain, said its Maharashtra chapter convener Paras Lohade in Nashik.
- The award, instituted this year, carries a cash prize of Rs 2.51 lakh, a memento and a citation and will be presented to Varthaman on April 17, coinciding with Mahavir Jayanti, Lohade said.
♦ PM Modi launched several projects in Gujarat
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today inaugurated 750 beds Annexe of Guru Gobind Singh Hospital in Jamnagar, Gujarat.
- During his two day visit to the state, the Prime Minister has also inaugurated the newly built PG hostel of the hospital. Mr Modi also visited the Hospital complex and interacted with students and faculty.
- Prime Minister has also unveiled the Saurashra Narmada Avtaran Irrigation- SAUNI projects at the venue through the press of a button. This project includes Und-1 to RanjitSagar Lift irrigation Scheme and Machu-1 to Nyari Lift Irrigation scheme.
- Prime Minister also laid the foundation stone of Jodiya Desalination Plant and Und-3 to Venu-2 Lift Irrigation scheme. He has also flagged off Bandra- Jamnagar Humsafar Express through a video link.
- Besides it, the Prime Minister also inaugurated the 51 kilometer pipeline from Aaji-3 to Khijadia by unveiling the plaque. He laid the foundation stone of Rajkot-Kanalus Railway Line doubling project.
- Prime Minister has also handed over keys to the beneficiaries to mark the dedication of 448 houses constructed by Jamnagar Municipal Corporation and 1008 flats constructed by Jamnagar Area Development Authority.
♦ RBI imposes Rs 8 crore fine on 3 banks for non-compliance in Swift operations
- The Reserve Bank of India has imposed a total monetary fine of Rs 8 crore on three banks – Karnataka Bank, United Bank of India and Karur Vysya Bank for non-compliance of directions on Swift messaging software.
- While the RBI imposed a Rs 4 crore fine on Karnataka Bank, United Bank is facing a penalty of Rs 3 crore. The regulator has levied Rs one crore fine on Karur Vysya Bank.
- The RBI has levied an aggregate penalty of Rs 40 million on the bank for delayed implementation of four of the Swift related operational controls, Karnataka Bank said in a regulatory filing.
- “The exchanges are hereby informed that Reserve Bank of India…, has imposed an aggregate penalty of Rs 30 million on the Bank to be deposited within 14 days, for non-compliance with, and contraventions of, directions contained in the RBI circular on time-bound implementation and strengthening of SWIFT-related operational controls,” United Bank said in a separate filing.
- Karur Vysya said that the RBI has imposed a monetary penalty of Rs 1 crore on the bank for non-compliance with the directions issued on Swift operations.
- Swift is the global messaging software used for transactions by the financial entities. The massive Rs 14,000 crore fraud at the PNB was a case of misuse of this messsaging software.
♦ Shri Rajnath Singh to inaugurate BOLD–QIT project along international border in Dhubri, Assam Today
- The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh will inaugurate the project BOLD-QIT (Border Electronically Dominated QRT Interception Technique) under CIBMS (Comprehensive Integrated Border Management system) on India-Bangladesh border in Dhubri District of Assam tomorrow.
- Border Security Force is responsible for safeguarding of 4,096 Km long International Border with Bangladesh. At various places, it is not possible to erect Border Fence due to the geographical barriers. The 61 Kms of Border area in District Dhubri, Assam where River Brahmaputra enters into Bangladesh is consisting of vast char lands and innumerable river channels thus making border guarding in this area, a daunting task especially during rainy season.
- To overcome this problem, in the year 2017, Ministry of Home Affairs decided to go for technological solution besides the physical presence of manpower of BSF. In Jan, 2018, Information and Technology Wing of BSF undertook the project BOLD-QIT (Border Electronically Dominated QRT Interception Technique) and completed it in record time with the technical support of various manufacturers and suppliers. BOLD-QIT is the project to install technical systems under the Comprehensive Integrated Border Management System (CIBMS), which enables BSF to equip Indo-Bangla borders with different kind of sensors in unfenced riverine area of Brahmaputra and its tributaries. Now, the entire span of River Brahmaputra has been covered with data network generated by Microwave communication, OFC Cables, DMR Communication, day and night surveillance Cameras and intrusion detection system. These modern gadgets provide feeds to BSF Control Rooms on the Border and enable BSF Quick Reaction Teams to thwart any possibility of Illegal Cross Border Crossing/ Crimes.
♦ Soon, charge your e-car on Delhi-Chandigarh highway on BHEL’s network
- State-run Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd on Monday said the company is setting up a network of solar-based electric vehicle chargers on the Delhi-Chandigarh highway.
- The project is covered under the Department of Heavy Industry’s FAME scheme (Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid) & Electric Vehicles in India).
- “The establishment of electric vehicle (EV) chargers at regular intervals over the entire 250 kms stretch between Delhi and Chandigarh would allay range-anxiety among the electric vehicle users and bolster their confidence for inter-city travel,” BHEL said in a BSE filing.
♦ Central Bank puts stressed accounts of Bhushan Power, Essar Steel on sale
- State-owned Central Bank of India has put up for sale four stressed accounts, including Bhushan Power & Steel and Essar Steel India, to recover dues of Rs 3,321 crore.
- “In terms of the bank’s policy on sale of financial assets in line with the regulatory guidelines, we place the following accounts for sale to banks/ARCs/NBFCs/FIs,” Central Bank of India has said in a bids invite document on its website.
- Alok Industries and Bombay Rayon Fashions are the two other stressed assets that lender wants to get rid off.
- According to the bid document, Bhushan Power & Steel has an outstanding of Rs 1,550.07 crore towards the bank. Alok Industries owes Rs 1,251 crore, Essar Steel India Rs 423.61 crore, while Bombay Rayon Fashions has an outstanding due of Rs 96.30 crore.
♦ PM Modi inaugurates India-Russia JV to build Kalashnikov rifles in Amethi
- Taking a step towards equipping army soldiers with modern rifles, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated an Indo-Russian joint venture (JV) on Sunday that will manufacture the new Kalashnikov AK-203 rifle in Korwa, near Amethi
- In the third week of February, New Delhi and Moscow signed an inter-governmental agreement (IGA) to build the AK-203 in India. A contract is still to be signed, but the first of an estimated 750,000 AK-203 rifles are expected to roll off the production line in 2019.
- “During my official visit to India last October… Mr Modi and I reached the agreement on setting up Kalashnikov production in this country. The IGA was prepared and signed in the shortest time”, said Russian president, Vladimir Putin, in a message that was read out during the signing ceremony.
♦ Jhulan Goswami rises to top of ODI rankings
- India’s veteran pacer Jhulan Goswami on Monday rose to the summit of the ICC women’s rankings for ODI bowlers following her influential role in the team’s series win over England recently.
- The 36-year-old Goswami, who last held the top spot in February 2017, finished with eight wickets in the series while helping her team reach second position in the eight-team championship that provides direce qualification berths to hosts New Zealand and four other top teams in the 2021 Women’s World Cup.
- The latest rankings update also takes into account performances of another ICC Women’s Championship series in which defending champions Australia scored a facile 3-0 win over New Zealand to move closer to a direct berth as they are now at the top with 22 points from 12 matches.
♦ Bajrang Punia wins gold in Bulgaria
- India’s star wrestler Bajrang Punia has won the gold medal at the Dan Kolov-Nikola Petrov tournament in Ruse, Bulgaria and dedicated the victory to Indian Air Force (IAF) Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman. Punia, a World Championship silver medallist, overpowered Jordan Oliver of USA 12-3 in the men’s 65kg freestyle final to begin the season on a resounding note in the Bulgarian city.
- However, Asian Games gold medallist Vinesh Phogat lost her women’s 53kg final to China’s Qianyu Pang 2-9 to settle for a silver on her debut in the United World Wrestling ranking series, which is also her first tournament since moving from the 50kg category.
- Down 0-3 before scoring 12 straight points, Punia also secured the maximum ranking points from the tournament. “I want to dedicate my gold to Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman. He has inspired me. I want to meet him one day and also shake hands with him,” Punia tweeted after his victory.
- The IAF pilot Varthaman returned to India from captivity in Pakistan on Friday night after a suspenseful wait lasting hours, which is being seen as a major step towards defusing a near-war situation triggered by India’s retaliation following the Pulwama terror attack on February 14.
♦ Former Union minister V. Dhananjaya Kumar dies aged 68
- Former Union minister V. Dhananjaya Kumar, who was ailing for some time, died at a private hospital here on Monday. He was 68 and is survived by his wife, a son and a daughter.
- His body will be kept in his house in Kadri Kambla in the city from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Tuesday to allow the public to pay their last respects. The final rites will be conducted at his native Venur in Dakshina Kannada.
- Mr. Kumar began his political career in the youth wing of the BJP and later went on to become a Member of the Karnataka Legislative Assembly in 1983 from the erstwhile Mangalore Assembly constituency. Though he contested again to the State Assembly from the same constituency, he got defeated in 1985.
You can also Read this:
Telegram Group:- Click Here
Telegram Channel: Click here
Like & Follow our Facebook Page:- Click here
Join our Facebook Group:- Click Here
Mail us at : email@example.com
Follow our Blog for Regular Updates:- Ambitious Baba
Subscribe our YouTube channel:- Click Here
Follow us on Twitter:- Click Here
Join us on Linked In:- Click Here
“Thanks & Be Ambitious”😊😊