The Hindu Review Daily Gk Update : 14th March 2019
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams then it is very important for you to read the Daily GK Update 2019. All the important updates based on current affairs are included in this page. All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs for IBPS, SBI, SSC, Railways and State Exam.
The hindu review provide you daily gk update current affairs for all Bank, SSC, Railway, UPSC, UPSSSC, CDS, UPTET, KVS, DSSSB and other Government exams.. Check daily The hindu review from The Hindu paper.
♦ INDO-OMAN Joint Ex Al Nagah 2019
- Indo Oman Joint Exercise Al Nagah III 2019, a joint military exercise between Indian and Royal Army of Oman (RAO), commenced this morning at HQ Jabel Regiment, Nizwa, Oman with a brief but impressive opening ceremony that saw the unfurling of the national flags of both countries with Omani and Indian soldiers standing side by side signifying the growing cooperation, synergy and understanding between both the countries.
- The Omani contingent was represented by Jabel Regiment of the RAO while the Indian side was represented by troops of Tenth Battalion The Garhwal Rifles Regiment. Lt Col Muhammed Al Saidi, Second – in- Command, Jabel Regiment welcomed the Indian soldiers, and in his inaugural remarks highlighted the common shared beliefs of freedom, equality and justice that are precious to both nations. The magnificent opening ceremony conducted today started with briefing on Army Organization and Country Presentation by both countries.
♦ IIP growth slows to 1.7%, retail inflation rises to 2.57%
- Industrial activity slowed in January 2019 growing by just 1.7% due in large part to a deceleration in the manufacturing, electricity, and capital goods sectors, official data released on Tuesday showed. In a separate release, government data showed that retail inflation in February snapped a four-month declining trend by rising to 2.57%.
- The Index of Industrial Production (IIP) saw growth slip below the 2% for the second time in three months in January, with the previous occurrence being the 0.32% growth seen in November 2018. Growth in the IIP was at 2.6 in December.
- Within the IIP, the mining and quarrying sector was one of the only major sectors that saw growth accelerating, from a contraction of 0.39% in December to a growth of 3.9% in January.
♦ India aviation authority grounds Boeing 737 MAX airplanes
- India joined late Tuesday a global ban on flying the Boeing 737 MAX plane after this week’s crash of this aircraft type in the African skies, increasing the likelihood of a further rise in domestic fares that remain high due to unrelated flight cancellations by some carriers.
- “(Industry regulator) DGCA has taken the decision to ground the Boeing 737-MAX planes immediately. These planes will be grounded (until) appropriate modifications and safety measures are undertaken to ensure their safe operations. As always, passenger safety remains our top priority. We continue to consult closely with regulators around the world, airlines, and aircraft manufacturers to ensure passenger safety,” the aviation ministry tweeted late evening.
- The ban comes a day after the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) had allowed the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft to fly under stricter conditions.
♦ Skill University launches Abhinandan scheme for widows and wards of defence personnels
- Shri Vishwakarma Skill University proposes to provide opportunities for skill and formal education to the widows and wards of the martyrs and wife and wards of gallantry award winners belonging to the Indian security forces through its newly launched scheme, Abhinandan: Veer Balidani Kritagyata Yojna (AVBKY).
- The university will create one per cent supernumerary seats of the approved intake for the widows and wards of martyrs and gallantry award winners in all its educational and skill courses from the academic session 2019-20 onwards. SVSU will waive-off charges for course fee, books, hostel, food and travel expenses for the selected candidates.
♦ Indian Embassy awards 200 scholarships to meritorious Nepali students
- The Embassy of India, Kathmandu awarded 200 Golden Jubilee Scholarships to meritorious Nepali students for continuing their studies in various undergraduate courses at different Universities and Colleges in Nepal.
- Awarding the certificates to meritorious students in Kathmandu today, Nepal’s Secretary of Education Khaga Raj Baral said India has been providing valuable support for the development of education in Nepal. He said with the Government of India scholarships Nepali students have excelled in various fields and it has helped in human resource development of Nepal. In his address Indian Ambassador to Nepal Manjeev Singh Puri advised students to achieve personal and professional fulfillment. He said it will contribute towards Nepal’s socio-economic development and will further deepen and strengthen India-Nepal relations.
♦ SBI launches doorstep banking service for senior citizens over 70 & differently-abled
- State Bank of India (SBI) has launched doorstep banking service for senior citizens over 70 years of age and differently-abled customers.
- Eligible customers can avail this service at a nominal fee of 100 rupees per transaction for financial transactions and 60rupees for non-financial transactions.
- According to a statement, doorstep banking services are available to KYC- compliant account holders, with a valid mobile number registered with the bank and residing within 5 kilometres radius from their home branch.
- This service will not be available for accounts operated jointly, minor accounts, and accounts of non-personal nature.
♦ Third Test-Firing of Guided Pinaka Successful
- Guided Pinaka developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) was successfully test fired today at Pokhran ranges after two successful trials on Monday, March 11, 2019. All the three trials met mission objectives.
- The consecutive successful missions of Guided Pinaka proves the efficacy, reliability and high precision capabilities of the weapon system.
♦ Axis Bank names Rakesh Makhija as new Chairman
- Private sector lender Axis Bank, on Tuesday, named Rakesh Makhija as its new Non-Executive Part-Time Chairman. Makhija, who is the Chairman of SKF India, will take over from current Axis Bank Chairman Sanjiv Mishra, when his term comes to an end on July 17.
- “Pursuant to the recommendations of the Nomination & Remuneration Committee of Directors, the board of directors of the bank, at its meeting held today, approved the appointment of Rakesh Makhija, Independent Director, as the Non-Executive (Part-Time) Chairman of the bank, for a period of three years, with effect from July 18, 2019, up to July 17, 2022,” Axis Bank said in a regulatory filing.