World Tourism Day
World Tourism Day is celebrated all across the world on September 27 every year since 1980 to raise awareness about the importance of tourism and how it affects the socio-cultural, political, and economic sectors of a country and the international community.
As the world coming back to normalcy, the urge to travel and explore places has gained momentum among travelers. Every tourist generates importance and value to the tourism sector of that place, which financially helps other communities and the economy at large.
History & Significance:
- This date concurs with the 10th anniversary of the adoption of the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) Statutes on September 27, 1970.
- On September 27, 1970, the Statutes of the UNWTO were adopted. The adoption of these Statutes is believed to be an important milestone in tourism.
- The significance of World Tourism Day is all about promoting the tourism, the importance of tourism and how it affects the socio-cultural, political, and economic sectors of a country and the international community.
- Tourism generates employment to millions of people to an extent that few countries are completely dependent on the tourism sector for financial stability.
- Traveling to different countries tourists understands that they might consider sustainability so that they don’t spoil the location’s ecosystem and maintain a harmonious balance with nature.
Celebration of World Tourism Day 2022:
The official celebration of World Tourism Day 2022 is being organized in Bali, Indonesia. The tourism sector is flourishing and is now a high priority of not only governments but also international organizations across the globe especially post- Covid.
The celebration is an opportunity to focus on how tourism can put people on first priority and bring together the governments, businesses and local communities to promote a sustainable and inclusive tourism.
Theme of World Tourism Day 2022:
The theme of World Tourism Day 2022 is highlighting the tourism sector being recognized as an important pillar for development.
As the theme of World Tourism Day 2022 is ‘Rethinking Tourism’.
Question & Answer:
Q1. On which day World Tourism Day is observed globally to promote tourism?
Ans. 27th September
Q2. At which place World Tourism Day 2022’s event is being held?
Ans. Bali, Indonesia
Q3. What is the theme of World Tourism Day 2022?
Ans. Rethinking Tourism