Classification of Computer:
Types of Computers
- Digital computer –Digital computer is the most commonly used type of computer and is used to process information with quantities using digits, usually using the binary number system. Ex – MacBook.
- Analog Computer – A computer that operates with numbers represented by directly measurable quantities (as voltages or rotations) — compare digital computer, hybrid computer.
- Hybrid Computer – A computer that combines the characteristics of a digital computer and an analog computer by its capacity to accept input and provide output in either digital or analog form and to process information digitally.
Classification on size
- Mainframe computer – A mainframe computer is a very large computer capable of handling and processing very large amounts of data quickly. They are used by large institutions, such as government agencies and large corporations.
- Mini Computer – a computer with processing and storage capabilities smaller than those of a mainframe but larger than those of a microcomputer.
- Micro computer – A microcomputer is a complete computer on a smaller scale and is generally a synonym for the more common term, personal computer or PC , a computer designed for an individual.
- Personal computer – A personal computer (PC) is a small, relatively inexpensive computer designed for an individual user. In price, All are based on the microprocessor technology that enables manufacturers to put an entire CPU on one chip.
- Supercomputer – The fastest type of computer. Supercomputers are very expensive and are employed for specialized applications that require immense amounts of calculations.