Current Affairs | Daily GK Updates : 11th May 2019
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams then it is very important for you to read the Daily GK Update 2019. All the important updates based on current affairs are included in this page. All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs for LIC AAO, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways and State Exam.
Current Affairs (National)
♦ Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu calls for strengthening of India-Vietnam ties
- On the penultimate day of his four-day official visit to Vietnam, the Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu continued his high-level engagement by holding talks with Vietnam’s Prime Minister, Mr. Nguyen Xuan Phuc on a wide range of issues and underscored the importance of strengthening the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership between the two nations to ensure peace and security in the region.
- On bilateral trade, the Vice President expressed confidence of achieving the target of USD 15 billion by 2020.
- Observing that Indian companies were increasingly looking to invest in emerging sectors like renewable energy and energy conservation, infrastructure, agriculture, agro-products, textiles, pharma and oil and gas, Shri Naidu informed him of India’s commitment to address various issues relating to market access and trade barriers.
Current Affairs (International)
♦ Konkan Railways signs agreement with Nepal
- Konkan Railways Corporation Ltd (KRCL) on Friday signed an agreement with Nepal’s Department of Railways under which the former will supply two 1600 HP DEMU train sets.
- The agreement was signed in Kathmandu in the presence of Indian Ambassador to Nepal, Manjeev Singh Puri, and Nepalese Ministry of Physical Infrastructure and Transport Secretary, Madhusudan Adhikari.
- The said trains will run on the 34 km long stretch between Jayanagar in India and Kurtha in Nepal.
- Manufactured by the Integrated Coach Factory located in Chennai, each train will consist of three coaches, including an air-conditioned coach.
- The Jayanagar-Kurtha Railway Link has been built by IRCON with a financial grant from the Government of India (GoI) under the India-Nepal Development Partnership program.
♦ WTO ministerial meeting of developing countries to take place on May 13-14 in New Delhi
- The World Trade Organisation, WTO, ministerial meeting of developing countries will take place on 13-14 of this month in New Delhi.
- The meeting is being held at a time when the multilateral rule-based-trading system is facing serious and grave challenges.
- It will provide an opportunity to the Ministers to discuss various issues and the way forward. On the first day, there will be a meeting of senior officers of the participating countries. On the 2nd day, the Ministerial Meeting will be held.
- Sixteen developing countries and six Least Developed Countries are participating in the meeting.
Banking and Finance
♦ Mudra loans may cross Rs 3 lakh crore in 2019-20
- Total sanctions under the Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana (PMMY) loan scheme for micro industries are likely to cross Rs 3 lakh crore in the current fiscal, a senior Finance Ministry source said on Thursday.
- Government data for the scheme for the last fiscal, till March 22, 2019, put the figure of Mudra sanctions at Rs 2.82 lakh crore to 541.27 lakh borrowers.
- The loan is given primarily for the purpose of employment creation at the grassroots level through formal banking credit channel.
- Maximum loan amount under the PMMY is upto Rs 10 lakh. Loans up to Rs 50,000 are categorised as ‘Shishu’, those from Rs 50,001 to Rs 5 lakh are called ‘Kishore’ and loans from Rs 5.01 lakh to Rs 10 lakh are categorised as ‘Tarun’.
♦ IPS officer who oversaw Nirbhaya rape case receives McCain Institute Award
- IPS officer Chhaya Sharma, who led the investigation team of the infamous Nirbhaya gang-rape and murder case, has been awarded the 2019 McCain Institute Award for Courage and Leadership on Friday.
- “A resolute guardian of human rights, Chhaya has led teams in detection and investigation of sensitive criminal cases and protection of human rights during her career spanning over 19 years. Sharma’s policing has consistently reflected victim-centric approach through her numerous investigations of serious crimes, particularly against women and children,” said McCain Institute in a statement.
♦ First Apache Helicopter formally handed over to The IAF
- First AH-64E (I) – Apache Guardian helicopter was formally handed over to the Indian Air Force at Boeing production facility in Mesa, Arizona, USA on 10 May 19. Air Marshal AS Butola, represented the Indian Air Force and accepted the first Apache in a ceremony at Boeing production facility, representatives from US Government were also present.
- IAF had signed a contract with US Government and M/s Boeing Ltd in Sep 2015 for 22 Apache helicopters. The first batch of these helicopters is scheduled to be shipped to India by Jul this year. Selected aircrew and ground crew have undergone training at the training facilities at US Army base Fort Rucker, Alabama. These personnel will lead the operationalisation of the Apache fleet in the IAF.
♦ 11May National Technology Day
- National Technology Day 2019: It is celebrated annually on May 11, the day on which India successfully test fired its first nuclear bombs in 1998. During the nuclear tests in Pokhran, five explosives were tested between May 11 and May 13.
♦ World Migratory Bird Day, 11 May 2019
- This year’s World Migratory Bird Day is dedicated to highlighting the problem of pollution with the theme, ‘Protect Birds: Be the Solution to Plastic Pollution.’
♦ ITC Chairman Y.C. Deveshwar passes away
- Noted industry leader and ITC Chairman Y.C. Deveshwar passed away on Saturday morning after a brief illness.
- He leaves behind his wife, a son, and a daughter.
- Mourning his demise, Sanjiv Puri, Managing Director, ITC, in a statement said: “Mr. Deveshwar passionately championed the cause for sustainable and inclusive growth and the transformative role businesses could play in creating larger societal value.”
- The Hindu Review April 2019 in (Bilingual) | Current Affairs PDF : Download Now
- GK Capsule for IDBI Assistant Manager 2019 : Download PDF from here
- LIC AAO Prelims Memory Based Paper 2019 : Download here
- SBI Clerk Prelims 2019 Mock Test Papers : Download PDF
- LIC AAO 2019 : Insurance Awareness and Financial Market E-Book (Bilingual) Hindi+English Download PDF
- More Daily Current Affairs Click here
- Get Free PDFs
- Banking Awareness Study Notes
SBI PO/Clerk 2019 Preparation Kit PDF
I challenge you will get Best Content in Our PDFs with Detail solutions and Latest Pattern
Memory Based Puzzle E-book | 2016-19 Exams Covered
Caselet Data Interpretation 200 Questions
|Get PDF here|
|Puzzle & Seating Arrangement E-Book for BANK PO MAINS (Vol-1)|
ARITHMETIC DATA INTERPRETATION 2019 E-book
|Get PDF here|
|The Banking Awareness 500 MCQs E-book| Bilingual (Hindi + English)|
|High Level DATA INTERPRETATION Practice E-BOOK|