Current Affairs | Daily GK Updates : 13th May 2019
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams then it is very important for you to read the Daily GK Update 2019. All the important updates based on current affairs are included in this page. All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs for LIC AAO, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways and State Exam.
Current Affairs (National)
♦ Consumer Price Index Numbers on Base 2012=100 for Rural, Urban and Combined for the Month of April 2019
- The Central Statistics Office (CSO), Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation has revised the Base Year of the Consumer Price Index (CPI) from 2010=100 to 2012=100 with effect from the release of indices for the month of January 2015.
- In this press note, the CPI (Rural, Urban, Combined) on Base 2012=100 is being released for the month of April 2019. In addition to this, Consumer Food Price Index (CFPI) for all India Rural, Urban and Combined are also being released for April 2019.
♦ President of India pays homage to Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed on his Birth Anniversary
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, paid homage to Shri Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed, former President of India on his Birth Anniversary at Rashtrapati Bhavan today (May 13, 2019).
- The President, officers and staff of Rashtrapati Bhavan paid floral tributes in front of a portrait of Shri Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed.
♦ I&B Secretary Amit Khare leads Indian Delegation to Cannes Film Festival
- India Pavilion is set to be inaugurated at Cannes Film Festival, which will be held from 14th to 25th May 2019. The Pavilion will showcase Indian cinema across linguistic, cultural and regional diversity, with the aim of forging international partnerships in distribution, production, filming in India, script development, technology, promoting film sales and syndication. It will be set up by Ministry of Information & Broadcasting in association with Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry.
- The Pavilion serves as a platform for the Indian Delegates to meet International Delegates attending the Festival to promote networking with other countries and organizations. The Pavilion also serves as an information dissemination point about India and Indian Cinema for the Global Film Community.
- The Indian Delegation this year will be led by Shri Amit Khare, Secretary, Ministry of Information & Broadcasting. The Film Delegation would consist of Shri Prasoon Joshi, Chairman, CBFC and acclaimed filmmakers Shri Rahul Rawail, Shri Shaji N. Karun and Shri Madhur Bhandarkar.
♦ Hyderabad’s Rajiv Gandhi International Airport among top 10 in the world
- Congestion continues to be the biggest problem facing airports: The flight industry is experiencing a rapid increase in global tourism. The Worldwide Tourism Organization estimates that worldwide international tourist arrivals increased 6%, to 1.4 billion in 2018.
- Had a bad experience at Newark Liberty Airport last year? You’re not alone, according to recent rankings.
- The New Jersey hub ranked as the worst US airport in the 2019 annual ratings from AirHelp, an organization that specializes in air traveller rights and seeks compensation in cases of delays or cancellations. See last year’s rankings here.
- US airports, in general, didn’t fare particularly well, with the highest-rated Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport taking 34th place of 132 around the world. Newark held the lowest U.S. spot, at 116.
Current Affairs (International)
♦ Ireland becomes second country in the world after UK to declare ‘climate emergency’
- The Republic of Ireland has become the second country in the world to declare a climate emergency.
- The country’s climate action minister, Richard Bruton, warned climate change was the greatest threat facing humanity and the level of urgency was justified.
- “We’re reaching a tipping point in respect of climate deterioration,” he said.
- “Things will deteriorate very rapidly unless we move very swiftly and the window of opportunity to do that is fast closing.”
♦ India, UK agree to boost Indo-Pacific cooperation
- India and the United Kingdom on Friday agreed to increase their collaboration in the fields of Indo-Pacific cooperation, climate change, disaster resilience, development in third world countries amongst other areas.
- The two countries held Foreign Office consultations, where the Indian side was led by Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale and the UK side was represented by Sir Simon McDonald, Permanent Under-Secretary, Foreign and Commonwealth Office of British Government, according to a statement by Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- “The consultations provided an opportunity to review the entire range of bilateral relations, including political, economic, commercial, scientific, regional and international cooperation, including Commonwealth,” it added.
- Both sides expressed satisfaction on the level of political exchanges and decided to further intensify them in the coming months, the statement noted.
♦ UN to hold 2020 ocean conference in Lisbon
- United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on Thursday decided to hold its 2020 high-level conference early June in Portugal’s Lisbon to support the sustainable use of the oceans, seas and marine resources.
- The UNGA “decides to convene the high-level 2020 United Nations Conference to Support the Implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development in Lisbon, from June 2 to 6, 2020,” according to a resolution adopted by the 80th plenary meeting of the UNGA 73rd session.
♦ DRDO Successfully Conducts Flight Test of ABHYAS
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) conducted successful flight test of ABHYAS – High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) from Interim Test Range, Chandipur in Odisha today. Theflight test was tracked by various RADARS & Electro Optic Systems and proved its performance in fully autonomous way point navigation mode.
- The configuration of ABHYAS is designed on an in-line small gas turbine engine and uses indigenously developed MEMS based navigation system for its navigation and guidance. The performance of the system was as per simulations carried out and demonstrated the capability of ABHYAS to meet the mission requirement for a cost effective HEAT.
♦ Army to shift its Training Command Headquarters to Meerut
- In a bid to save funds and ensure better connectivity with the Army headquarters, the Indian Army is planning to shift its training command headquarters from Shimla in Himachal Pradesh to Meerut, Uttar Pradesh in the near future.
- “The Training Command is now planned to be shifted from Shimla to Meerut to save costs and man-hours spent in travelling from the headquarters to the hill location,” senior Army sources said here.
- The move is part of the ongoing restructuring that is being carried out at multiple levels by the Army.
- Army sources said the headquarters needs to be moved out of Shimla to a new location that has better infrastructure, as the command’s role will expand after the restructuring.
Banking and Finance
♦ Centre plans 3 CPSE ETFs in FY20 to meet Rs 90,000-cr disinvestment target
- The Ministry of Finance’s Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM) is examining plans to launch three equity exchange-traded funds (ETFs) in the current fiscal year, Business Standard has learnt. DIPAM expects that the three ETFs will be attractive to investors who want to invest in specific sectors, and will help the Centre meet an ambitious Rs 90,000 crore disinvestment target for 2019-20 (FY20).
♦ Sanjiv Puri becomes CMD of ITC
- ITC Managing Director Sanjiv Puri has been appointed as the chairman by the Board of Directors. His new designation will now be chairman and managing director, the company said in a stock exchange filing.
- Company chairman Yogesh Chander Deveshwar passed away on May 11.
- Mr. Puri (56) has been the Managing Director since 2018. He was appointed on the board in December 2015 and as the CEO in February 2017.
♦ Professor Tijjani Bande Announced As President, UN General Assembly
- Professor Tijjani Mohammad Bande has been appointed as the new President of the United Nations General Assembly.
- His appointment was announced by María Fernanda Espinosa Garcés, outgoing president of UNGA at a press conference in Abuja after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday.
- Bande becomes the second Nigerian to be appointed President of UNGA after Mr. Joseph Nanven Garba who held the position between 1989 and 1990.
- Bande until his appointment was the permanent representative of Nigeria to UN.
♦ Spanish GP: Hamilton beats Bottas in Spain
- Lewis Hamilton led Valtteri Bottas to the fifth consecutive Mercedes one-two at the start of this season after dominating the Spanish Grand Prix.
- The world champion, who started second, passed Bottas into the first corner and eased away to an ultimately comfortable win, despite a late safety car.
- A long way behind, Ferrari used team tactics yet again but lost out to Red Bull’s Max Verstappen for third.
♦ Novak Djokovic beats Stefanos Tsitsipas to win his third Madrid Open title
- Novak Djokovic celebrated a lot more than a record-tying 33rd Masters 1000 title at the Madrid Open.
- Djokovic left the Spanish capital feeling pretty good about his game, too, carrying a lot of confidence into the rest of the clay-court season.
- The top-ranked Djokovic earned a comfortable 6-3, 6-4 win over Stefanos Tsitsipas on May 12 to join Nadal as the most successful players in Masters 1000 tournaments, moving five ahead of Roger Federer, who is third in the all-time list.
♦ Hollywood actor-singer Doris Day passes away
- The Doris Day Animal Foundation confirmed that actor-singer Doris Day died early Monday at her Carmel Valley, California, home. The foundation said she was surrounded by close friends.
Read it on App (News & Updates)
- The Hindu Review April 2019 in (Bilingual) | Current Affairs PDF : Download Now
- GK Capsule for IDBI Assistant Manager 2019 : Download PDF from here
- LIC AAO Prelims Memory Based Paper 2019 : Download here
- SBI Clerk Prelims 2019 Mock Test Papers : Download PDF
- LIC AAO 2019 : Insurance Awareness and Financial Market E-Book (Bilingual) Hindi+English Download PDF
- More Daily Current Affairs Click here
- Get Free PDFs
- Banking Awareness Study Notes
SBI PO/Clerk 2019 Preparation Kit PDF
I challenge you will get Best Content in Our PDFs with Detail solutions and Latest Pattern
Memory Based Puzzle E-book | 2016-19 Exams Covered
Caselet Data Interpretation 200 Questions
|Get PDF here|
|Puzzle & Seating Arrangement E-Book for BANK PO MAINS (Vol-1)|
ARITHMETIC DATA INTERPRETATION 2019 E-book
|Get PDF here|
|The Banking Awareness 500 MCQs E-book| Bilingual (Hindi + English)|
|High Level DATA INTERPRETATION Practice E-BOOK|
- WhatsApp Group Join here
- Telegram Group:- Click Here
- Telegram Channel: Click here
- Like & Follow our Facebook Page:- Click here
- Join our Facebook Group:- Click Here