Current Affairs | Daily GK Updates : 16th May 2019
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams then it is very important for you to read the Daily GK Update 2019. All the important updates based on current affairs are included in this page. All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs for LIC AAO, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways and State Exam.
Current Affairs (National)
♦ Website of Lokpal inaugurated
- The Website of the Lokpal was inaugurated by the Chairperson, Justice Shri Pinaki Chandra Ghose in presence of all the Members of Lokpal today. The DG, NIC, Smt. Neeta Verma was also present on the occasion. The Website has been developed by NIC and provides the basic information with respect to the working and functioning of the Lokpal. The Website can be accessed at http://lokpal.gov.in.
- The Lokpal is the first institution of its kind in independent India, established under the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013 to inquire and investigate into allegations of the corruption against public functionaries who fall within the scope and ambit of the above Act.
♦ India signs ‘Christchurch Call to Action’
- India on Wednesday signed the ‘Christchurch Call to Action’. The agreement came in the backdrop of the attacks on mosques on March 15.
- Aimed at stopping abuse of the Internet by extremists.
- “The dissemination of such content online has adverse impacts on the human rights of the victims, on our collective security and on people all over the world,” declared a statement issued by the 17 signatory countries.
- The meeting held in Paris was attended by representatives of online giants like Microsoft, Google, Twitter, Facebook and Amazon. India was represented by Ajay Prakash Sawhney, Secretary.
Banking and Finance
♦ RBI’s vision 2021 looks at a ‘cash-lite’ society, cyber security, and more
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on Wednesday released its statement on ‘Payment and Settlement Systems in India: Vision 2019–2021’, which outlined the measures that the central bank will undertake to foster innovation, cybersecurity, financial inclusion, customer protection, and competition.
- The Payment Systems Vision 2021 envisages achieving a ‘highly digital’ and ‘cash-lite’ society through the goalposts of competition, cost-effectiveness, convenience, and confidence, said the RBI.
- Based on inputs from various stakeholders and guidance of the Board for Regulation and Supervision of Payment and Settlement Systems, the report consists of 36 specific action points with 12 specific outcomes.
♦ SIDBI’s pilot scheme for fintech NBFCs to boost digital lending
- 16 May 2019 Current Affairs: Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) launched a pilot scheme to extend financial assistance of up to Rs 10 crore to new-age fintech non-banking finance companies (NBFCs) engaged in financing small businesses and other income-generating activities.
- SIDBI set the exposure cap for lending to a single new-age fintech NBFC at 30% of NOF of the new-age fintech NBFC, subject to maximum cap of Rs 10 crore.
♦ Ola partners with Visa, SBI to launch credit cards
- Homegrown ride-hailing platform Ola has launched a credit card in partnership with SBI and Visa, the company said in a statement. Ola users will be able to apply, view and manage their credit cards directly on the Ola app and will get instant cashbacks, which can be redeemed against Ola rides, flight and hotel bookings.
- ET first reported the tie-up in its April 30 edition. “Mobility spends form a significant wallet share for users and we see a huge opportunity to transform their payments experience with this solution,” said Bhavish Aggarwal, CEO of Ola.
♦ Justice A. K. Sikri Appointed As Chairperson of the News Broadcasting Standards Authority (NBSA)
- Former Supreme Court Judge Justice A. K. Sikri has been appointed as the Chairperson of the News Broadcasting Standards Authority (NBSA). He will assume office on May 26, 2019.
- Justice Sikri will succeed Justice R. V. Raveendran, who completes his term on May 25, 2019. In a statement, NBA President Rajat Sharma said that Justice Sikri’s vast experience in judiciary and an impeccable record as a judge would definitely strengthen selfregulation and NBSA.
♦ China to host 2023 Asian Cup after Korea withdraw bid
- South Korea has abandoned its bid to stage football’s Asian Cup in 2023, authorities said, leaving the sole other bidders China with a free run to become host.
- The Korea Football Association (KFA) said in a statement it had pulled out to “strategically focus” on a joint bid with North Korea to host the Women’s World Cup in the same year.
- The KFA announced the joint bid in March, but diplomatic contacts between Pyongyang and Seoul have since dwindled with North Korea-US nuclear talks deadlocked.
- “For the Women’s World Cup, FIFA and the South Korean government will provide active support so that the joint hosting by South and North Koreas can be materialised,” the KFA’s head Chun Han-jin said in the statement late Wednesday.
♦ Former Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke dies at 89
- Bob Hawke, a transformative and charismatic left-wing lawmaker with a “larrikin’ streak who served as Australian Prime Minister from 1983 to 1991, died on Thursday aged 89, his family said.
- “Today we lost Bob Hawke, a great Australian many would say the greatest Australian of the post-war era,” his wife and former biographer Blanche dAlpuget said in a statement.
- The Hindu Review April 2019 in (Bilingual) | Current Affairs PDF : Download Now
- GK Capsule for IDBI Assistant Manager 2019 : Download PDF from here
- LIC AAO Prelims Memory Based Paper 2019 : Download here
- SBI Clerk Prelims 2019 Mock Test Papers : Download PDF
- LIC AAO 2019 : Insurance Awareness and Financial Market E-Book (Bilingual) Hindi+English Download PDF
- More Daily Current Affairs Click here
- Get Free PDFs
- Banking Awareness Study Notes
SBI PO/Clerk 2019 Preparation Kit PDF
I challenge you will get Best Content in Our PDFs with Detail solutions and Latest Pattern
Memory Based Puzzle E-book | 2016-19 Exams Covered
Caselet Data Interpretation 200 Questions
|Get PDF here|
|Puzzle & Seating Arrangement E-Book for BANK PO MAINS (Vol-1)|
ARITHMETIC DATA INTERPRETATION 2019 E-book
|Get PDF here|
|The Banking Awareness 500 MCQs E-book| Bilingual (Hindi + English)|
|High Level DATA INTERPRETATION Practice E-BOOK|