Current Affairs | Daily GK Updates : 17th May 2019
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams then it is very important for you to read the Daily GK Update 2019. All the important updates based on current affairs are included in this page. All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs for LIC AAO, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways and State Exam.
Current Affairs (National)
♦ Israel proposes India to be the focus country in Jerusalem Film Festival, 2020
- The Indian Delegation led by I&B Secretary Shri Amit Khare today met Film Commissioners of participating countries at Cannes Film Festival. During the meeting, India was positioned as an attractive filming destination by highlighting the steps taken to easy the process of obtaining permissions for filming in India through the Film Facilitation Office which facilitates Single Window Clearance for film-makers. The steps taken by the India Government to combat film piracy were also discussed.
- The Indian Delegation highlighted the opportunity of utilizing the abundant talent pool of skilled professionals and technicians and projected the possibility of India emerging as a major post production hub. The focus of the discussion was exploration of co-production opportunities with the participating countries and forage opportunities of collaborations for films with international production houses.
Current Affairs (International)
♦ Saudi Arabia approves permanent residency for first time
- The Saudi government has approved for the first time a scheme that gives permanent residency to certain expatriates, allowing them to own real estate in the kingdom and reside with their families without a Saudi sponsor.
- The decision, approved by Saudi Arabia’s Cabinet and announced on Wednesday, is aimed at attracting long-term investments as the government tries to diversify the economy and boost domestic spending.
♦ Taiwan legalizes same-sex marriage in historic first for Asia
- Lawmakers in Taiwan have approved a bill legalizing same-sex marriage, a landmark decision that makes the self-ruled island the first place in Asia to pass gay marriage legislation.
- The vote came almost two years after the island’s Constitutional Court ruled that the existing law — which said marriage was between a man and a woman — was unconstitutional. The panel of judges gave the island’s parliament two years to amend or enact new laws.
- On Friday — only a week off the two-year deadline — lawmakers in Taiwan’s Legislative Yuan passed a bill making same-sex marriage a reality. It will go into effect on May 24.
Banking and Finance
♦ HDFC Ergo and IBM to jointly setup data lab in India
- General insurance company HDFC Ergo and technology major IBM have jointly set up a lab in India to run deep analytics on customer data and subsequently develop customised solutions to improve business efficiency and profitability.
- The ‘IBM Garage’ with a team of 25 experts, including data scientists, technology architects and design engineers from IBM and experts from HDFC Ergo,are working on various test cases aimed at improving customer experience. Their first project, which has been underway for two months, is to develop an automated real-time email-communication solution for customer queries and reduce turn-around time on redressals, top executives from both companies told ET.
♦ Appointment of R Gandhi as additional director Board of Yes Bank
- Yes Bank Friday said appointment of former RBI Deputy Governor R Gandhi as an additional director on its board is a positive move which will not impede smooth functioning at the private sector lender.
- Welcoming the appointment in a statement, the city-headquartered bank said the appointment is “very positive and constructive measure” to strengthen the board.
- “We warmly welcome the appointment of R Gandhi to the Board of Yes Bank by RBI under Section 36AB of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949. This is a very positive and constructive measure aimed at further strengthening the Board,” a bank statement said.
♦ Ujjivan Small Finance Bank appoints Nitin Chugh as MD, CEO from Dec 1
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank, a subsidiary of the listed entity Ujjivan Financial Services, Friday announced the appointment of Nitin Chugh as its MD and CEO for a period of three years with effect from December 1, 2019.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved Chugh’s appointment, Ujjivan Financial Services said in a BSE filing.
- “This appointment comes at the end of a succession planning process undertaken by the bank as the present tenure of Samit Ghosh as the MD and CEO of the bank will conclude on November 30, 2019 (the date of his attaining the age of 70 years),” the company said.
♦ Indian Navy successfully test-fires MRSAM missile
- The Indian Navy has successfully test-fired a Medium Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM), achieving a significant milestone to enhance its anti-air warfare capability, the defence ministry said Friday. The test-firing of the missile was undertaken on the western seaboard by Indian naval ships Kochi and Chennai.
- “The Indian Navy achieved a significant milestone in enhancing its anti air warfare capability with the maiden cooperative engagement firing of the MRSAM,” the defence ministr said in a statement.
- The test-firing of the missile was carried out jointly by the Indian Navy, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Israel Aerospace Industries.
♦ First NCC Girls Expedition Team from Sikkim Flagged off to Mt Tenchenkhang
- The National Cadet Corps (NCC) Girls’ Mountaineering Expedition to Mt. Tenchenkhang in Sikkim was ‘Flagged Off’ by Addl Director General (B) Maj Gen Sanjay Gupta, here today.
- The team is led by Lt Col Madhab Boro and constitute three officers (including Medical Officer), 17 PI staff and 20 NCC Girl Cadets from various All India NCC directorates.
- This is the first NCC cadets’ expedition in Sikkim ever since 1970. The team will be attempting to scale Mt. Tenchenkhang (6010m) by the end of June 2019.
♦ 17 May World Hypertension Day
- On World Hypertension Day, which is celebrated on May 17 every year to create awareness about high blood pressure, he suggests a few ways to manage hypertension through Ayurveda.
- Theme- Know Your Numbers with a goal of increasing high blood pressure (BP) awareness in all populations around the world.
♦ World Telecommunication and Information Society Day 17 May
- The purpose of World Telecommunication and Information Society Day (WTISD) is to help raise awareness of the possibilities that the use of the Internet and other information and communication technologies (ICT) can bring to societies and economies, as well as of ways to bridge the digital divide.
- 17 May marks the anniversary of the signing of the first International Telegraph Convention and the creation of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU). This year, we celebrate the 50th anniversary of World Telecommunication and Information Society Day, which has been celebrated annually since 1969.
- 2019 Theme: Bridging the standardization gap
- The Hindu Review April 2019 in (Bilingual) | Current Affairs PDF : Download Now
- GK Capsule for IDBI Assistant Manager 2019 : Download PDF from here
- LIC AAO Prelims Memory Based Paper 2019 : Download here
- SBI Clerk Prelims 2019 Mock Test Papers : Download PDF
- LIC AAO 2019 : Insurance Awareness and Financial Market E-Book (Bilingual) Hindi+English Download PDF
- More Daily Current Affairs Click here
- Get Free PDFs
- Banking Awareness Study Notes
SBI PO/Clerk 2019 Preparation Kit PDF
I challenge you will get Best Content in Our PDFs with Detail solutions and Latest Pattern
Memory Based Puzzle E-book | 2016-19 Exams Covered
Caselet Data Interpretation 200 Questions
|Get PDF here|
|Puzzle & Seating Arrangement E-Book for BANK PO MAINS (Vol-1)|
ARITHMETIC DATA INTERPRETATION 2019 E-book
|Get PDF here|
|The Banking Awareness 500 MCQs E-book| Bilingual (Hindi + English)|
|High Level DATA INTERPRETATION Practice E-BOOK|