Current Affairs | Daily GK Updates : 2nd May 2019
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams then it is very important for you to read the Daily GK Update 2019. All the important updates based on current affairs are included in this page. All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs for LIC AAO, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways and State Exam.
Current Affairs (National)
♦ IIT Indore pips older peers to feature in top 50 Asia University Rankings
- The second generation Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Indore has yet again pipped its older peers like IIT Bombay, Delhi, and Madras to be the only IIT to rank in the top 50 Times Higher Education (THE) Asia University Rankings.
- The latest rankings, however, have seen the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bengaluru maintain its lead position at 29th, same as last year. On the other hand, IIT Bombay which ranked 44 last year, fell 10 places to be ranked at 54th position this year.
- The other institute to debut along with IIT Indore is Mysore-based JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research at 62nd position. Among the older IITs, while IIT Roorkee rose from 65th position last year to 54th this year, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Kanpur, and IIT Delhi fell from 60, 81 and 86 ranks to 76, 82 and 91 ranks this year, respectively.
♦ Naidu releases a postage stamp to commemorate the 750th birth anniversary of Sri Vedanta Desikan
- The Vice President, Shri. M. Venkaiah Naidu released a postage stamp to commemorate the 750th birth anniversary of Sri Vedanta Desikan in New Delhi today. He said that our textbooks must throw light on the lives of great saints and spiritual icons such as Sri Vedanta Desikan so that our children internalize and practice the lofty ideals of humanism, peace and compassion propagated by them.
- ‘Sri Vedanta Desikan is one of the most prominent preceptors in the Srivaishnava tradition and one of the most effulgent luminaries to have graced this land’, the Vice President added. Initiatives like bringing out commerative postage stamps were not only meant to pay tribute to the great contributions of visionaries like Sri Vedanta Desikan but also aimed at inspiring our younger generation to follow in their footsteps.
Current Affairs (International)
♦ UK becomes first parliament to declare climate emergency
- Britain’s opposition Labour Party on Wednesday called for “real action” after Britain’s parliament became the first in the world to vote, to declare a climate emergency.
- Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, who tabled the motion, said it was “a huge step forward”.
- The declaration of an emergency was one of the key demands put to the government by environmental activist group Extinction Rebellion, in a series of protests over recent weeks.
- The vote was taken following 11 days of protests organised by climate activists Extinction Rebellion, that brought several London sites to a standstill.
Banking and Finance
♦ SEBI Fines NSE Over Rs 1,000 crore in Co-Location Scandal
- Market regulator Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI) on Tuesday, April 30, has ordered National Stock Exchange (NSE) to pay a fine of over Rs 1,000 crore in relation to a co-location scandal through which NSE favoured a set of brokers to make illegal gains through preferential access to the exchange servers.
- The regulator also barred NSE from entering any new derivatives contracts (any form of fundraising) for the next six months. On April 30, SEBI released five separate orders, all related to the co-location scandal.
- Under the NSE co-location facility, brokers can place their servers in the exchange’s data centre, where they get faster access to the price feed, helping in swift execution of trades. But this system was rigged by several insiders of NSE, providing preferential access to the exchange servers and garnering thousands of crores.
♦ France, India begin ‘Varuna’ naval exercise off Goa coast
- Navies of India and France Wednesday began the first phase of a mega naval exercise off the coast of Goa which is aimed at developing inter-operability between the the two forces in dealing with various security challenges.
- The first part of the joint naval exercise, ‘Varuna’, is being held from May 1-10 off the Goa coast, while the second phase is scheduled for later this month in strategically located Djibouti, Navy officials said.
♦ Bombay Stock Exchange appoints first independent woman Director Jayshree Vyas
- BSE, formerly known as the Bombay Stock Exchange, has finally appointed its first independent woman director Jayshree Vyas last week, though still late by at least a few weeks from the deadline of April 1 given to all top 500 listed companies based on their market capitalisation for appointing an independent woman director on their board.
- Already has two non-executive women directors namely Usha Sangwan and Rajeshree Sabnavis on its Board.
♦ Kumar Sangakkara named as first non-British President of MCC
- Kumar Sangakkara, the former Sri Lanka captain, has been announced as the first non-British President of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), and will take up his one-year post on October 1, 2019.
- Sangakkara’s nomination was announced by the current President, Anthony Wreford, at the MCC Annual General Meeting at Lord’s on Wednesday.
♦ 2 May World Password Day
- Passwords have become one of the most important factors in today’s digital world. Every single person is required to have one if they want to have a digital footprint, receive and send emails, use social media platforms, to name some of the more regular uses. To commemorate this May 2 has been declared as the World Password Day.
♦ Kannada theatre personality Master Hirannaiah passes away
- He was well known for his caustic barbs on the political class dipped in humour on stage from late 1960s
- Noted Kannada theatre personality Master Hirannaiah died in the city on May 2 morning. He was 85 years old and was suffering from a liver complication. Hospitalised at BGS Global Hospital, he succumbed to his death on May 2 morning, sources said.
- Narasimha Murthy hailing from Mysuru was the son of another theatre thespian K. Hirannaiah, who started K. Hirannaiah Mitra Mandali. Making his debut on the stage as a child, he went by the stage name Master Hirannaiah, a name that stuck till the end.
- SBI Clerk Prelims 2019 Mock Test Papers : Download PDF
- LIC AAO 2019 : Insurance Awareness and Financial Market E-Book (Bilingual) Hindi+English Download PDF
- More Daily Current Affairs Click here
- Get Free PDFs
- Banking Awareness Study Notes
SBI PO/Clerk 2019 Preparation Kit PDF
I challenge you will get Best Content in Our PDFs with Detail solutions and Latest Pattern
Memory Based Puzzle E-book | 2016-19 Exams Covered
Caselet Data Interpretation 200 Questions
|Get PDF here|
|Puzzle & Seating Arrangement E-Book for BANK PO MAINS (Vol-1)|
ARITHMETIC DATA INTERPRETATION 2019 E-book
|Get PDF here|
|The Banking Awareness 500 MCQs E-book| Bilingual (Hindi + English)|
|High Level DATA INTERPRETATION Practice E-BOOK|