Table of Contents
Main Part of Computer Software:
The programs and other operating information used by a computer.
Types of software
|System software||Application software||Programming software|
|Operating software||Educational software||Text editor|
|Data driver||Word processors||interpreter|
- Operating system software -An operating system (OS) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs. The operating system is a component of the system software in a computer system.
- Functions of operating system – The basic functions of an operating system are: Booting the computer. Performs basic computer tasks eg managing the various peripheral devices eg mouse, keyboard. Provides a user interface, e.g. command line, graphical user interface (GUI).
- Spreadsheet software – A software interface consisting of an interactive grid made up of cells in which data or formulas are entered for analysis or presentation
- Word processors – a program or machine for storing, manipulating, and formatting text entered from a keyboard and providing a printout.
- Compiler – A compiler is a computer program (or a set of programs) that transforms source code written in a programming language (the source language) into another computer language (the target language), with the latter often having a binary form known as object code.
- Interpreter – a program that can analysis and execute a program line by line.
- Database management system – software that handles the storage, retrieval, and updating of data in a computer system.
- Antivirus Software – Anti-virus software is a program or set of programs that are designed to prevent, search for, detect, and remove software viruses, and other malicious software like worms, trozans, adware, and more.
- Boot – The boot process is the name for the various steps the computer takes after you turn it on, all the way until the operating system is loaded.
- Cold Boot – The start-up of a computer from a powered-down, or off, state. Also called a hard boot.
- Warm Boot – restarting a computer via the operating system.
|Operating system/System Software||Unix and BSD||UNIX System V, IBM AIX, HP-UX, Solaris (SunOS), IRIX, List of BSD operating systems|
|GNU/Linux||List of Linux distributions, Comparison of Linux distributions|
|Microsoft Windows||Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10|
|DOS||86-DOS (QDOS), IBM PC DOS, MS-DOS, DR-DOS, FreeDOS|
|Macintosh operating systems||Classic Mac OS, macOS (previously OS X and Mac OS X)|
|Embedded and real-time||List of embedded operating systems|
|Experimental||Amoeba, Oberon/Bluebottle, Plan 9 from Bell Labs|
|Library||Multimedia||DirectX, OpenGL, OpenAL, Vulkan (API)|
|Programming library||C standard library, Standard Template Library|
|Data||Protocol||TCP/IP, Kermit, FTP, HTTP, SMTP|
|File format||HTML, XML, JPEG, MPEG, PNG|
|User interface||Graphical user interface (WIMP)||Microsoft Windows, GNOME, KDE, QNX Photon, CDE, GEM, Aqua|
|Text-based user interface||Command-line interface, Text user interface|
|Application Software||Office suite||Word processing, Desktop publishing, Presentation program, Database management system, Scheduling & Time management, Spreadsheet, Accounting software|
|Internet Access||Browser, Email client, Web server, Mail transfer agent, Instant messaging|
|Design and manufacturing||Computer-aided design, Computer-aided manufacturing, Plant management, Robotic manufacturing, Supply chain management|
|Graphics||Raster graphics editor, Vector graphics editor, 3D modeler, Animation editor, 3D computer graphics, Video editing, Image processing|
|Audio||Digital audio editor, Audio playback, Mixing, Audio synthesis, Computer music|
|Software engineering||Compiler, Assembler, Interpreter, Debugger, Text editor, Integrated development environment, Software performance analysis, Revision control, Software configuration management|
|Educational||Edutainment, Educational game, Serious game, Flight simulator|
|Games||Strategy, Arcade, Puzzle, Simulation, First-person shooter, Platform, Massively multiplayer, Interactive fiction|
|Misc||Artificial intelligence, Antivirus software, Malware scanner, Installer/Package management systems, File manager|