The Hindu Editorial Analysis:
We all are aware of the importance of reading The Hindu newspaper with the aspect of improving reading ability, easily comprehending paragraphs, getting updated with the current events, improving essay writing and many more. For a banking aspirant it becomes necessary to read editorials for vocabulary. In this article we are going to discuss the points of today’s editorials with practice questions and important vocabs.
The pen and the gun.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s recent observations at a conclave of state home ministers contained a possibly unintended explanation for why academicians, students and lawyers are languishing in prison on terrorism charges.
- He called for the elimination for all forms of Naxalism , be it of the gun-wielding variety or the kind that uses the pen”to raise international support” and “to mislead the youth”.
- The remarks came alongside his emphasis on how the unlawful activities act had given an impetus to combating terrorism.
- In effect, he has conveyed a disconcerting message that the police would treat armed militants and intellectual alike, if the government suspects s concordance in their outlook.
- Considering that the UAPA had been frequently and even unfairly invoked in cases that appear to have no Nexus with terrorism,Mr.Modi’s views raise a question whether his comments are a justification of sorts for the continued incarceration of many who do not seem to have indulged in any particular extremist act.
- Incitement to violence, especially mobilising support for armed insurgency, is indeed a grave offence, but unless there is a proven connection between the nature of the support given and an actual act of terror or plot to commit one, it is difficult to treat the two things as one.
- Recent judicial orders declining bail to activist Umar Khalid in the Delhi riots case, and Jyoti jagtap of Kabir kala Manch in the Elgar Parishad case are good examples of how the police standards the huge gulf between the nature of their participation in a protest or an event and an actual act of violence by invoking UAPA, and thus eliminating the need to have concrete evidence to show their involvement in a communal plot
- The government arming itself with more stringent laws is only part of the solution to the threat posed by violent extremists.
- Looking for remedies to the underlying causes is more important than Conjuring up conspiracies in the name of dismantling its support structures.
- What was the Prime Minister’s recent observations?
- What was recent judicial orders regarding Umar Khalid?
- Dismantle- to take something into pieces.
- Conjuring- to charge or entreat
- Stringent- very strict
- Insurgency- rebellious act, revolt
- Indulged- to allow yourself to have or do something for pleasure
- Concordance- a list in a-z order