Current Affairs 16th December 2021, Daily GK Update
Daily Current Affairs 2021: Daily GK update is the most important section for any competitive examination. Current affairs are generally asked from the last 4-5 months, so here, Ambitious Baba regularly updates the Daily GK Update & daily Current affairs 2021.
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams, then it is very important for you to read the Daily Current Affairs 2021, Daily GK Update 2021. All the important updates based on current affairs 2021 are included in this Daily Current Affairs 2021 article.
All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on a daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs 2020 / Daily GK Update for LIC, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways, SBI Clerk 2021 State, and NRA CET Exam of 2021.
Govt launched National Helpline to report Atrocities against SCs, STs
- The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment launched a National Helpline Against Atrocities (NHAA) to prevent atrocities on members of Scheduled Castes (SCs) and Scheduled Tribes (STs).
- The NHAA will ensure proper execution of the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, (POA) 1989. The NHAA will be available 24×7 on toll-free number 14566 across the country.
- Aim: To build an informed awareness about the provisions of the law that are aimed at ending discrimination and providing protection to members of the community.
Andhra Pradesh inked pact with UN-FAO & ICAR for sustainable agriculture
- An agreement on Technical Cooperation Project has been inked by Andhra Pradesh Government with the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (UN-FAO) and Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) to help the state farmers in adopting a sustainable agriculture food system.
- FAO will provide training to farmers, Rythu Bharosa Kendram (RBK) staff, officials, and scientists on new technologies in agricultural allied sectors and training to farmers on best cultivation management practices.
- In 2020, Rythu Bharosa Kendram (RBK) or farmer support centres were set up in AP as part of an effort to weed away fake seeds, pesticides and fertilisers from the markets.
About United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (UN-FAO):
- Founded: 16 October 1945, Quebec City, Canada
- Headquarters: Rome, Italy
- Director-General: Qu Dongyu
NTPC will set up India’s 1st Green Hydrogen Microgrid Projects at Simhadri, AP
- National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC) has awarded a project of Standalone Fuel-Cell based Micro-grid with hydrogen production using electrolyzer in Simhadri, near Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh.
- It is India’s 1st Green Hydrogen based Energy Storage Project and one of the largest in the world. India targets to become carbon neutralby2070.
- The hydrogen will be produced by using the advanced 240 kW Solid Oxide Electrolyser by taking input power from the nearby Floating Solar project. The hydrogen produced during sunshine hours would be stored at high pressure and would be electrified using a 50 kW Solid Oxide Fuel Cell.
- NTPC Renewable Energy Limited (NTPC REL) has also inked a pact with the Union territory of Ladakh for a green hydrogen mobility project, with the company along with NVVN jointly executing the project.
About NTPC Limited:
- Founded: 1975
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- Chairman & MD: Gurdeep Singh
Durga Puja on UNESCO’s ‘Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity’ list
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) has added Kolkata’s Durga Puja festival to its ‘Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity’.
- India now has 14 intangible cultural heritage elements on the UNESCO list. Other Indian entries that were previously inscribed include Nowrouz (2016), Ramlila (2008), Yoga (2016), and Kumbh Mela (2017).
- UNESCO established its Lists of Intangible Cultural Heritage in 2008 with the aim of ensuring better protection of important intangible cultural heritages worldwide and the awareness of their significance.
About UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization):
- Founded: 16 November 1945
- Headquarters: Paris, France
- Members:193 countries
- Head: Audrey Azoulay
Banking and Financial
ADB approved $112 million loan to establish Assam Skill University
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a $112 million loan to strengthen skills education and training through the establishment of the Assam Skill University (ASU).
- The Loan will create a path for skill development to enhance the productivity and competitiveness of Assam’s economy and industries.
- An additional $1 million grant from the Japan Fund for Poverty Reduction will support the introduction of technologies for smart campus management, integrated teaching, learning, and career development management.
List of Loan approved by ADB in 2020-21
- $250 million: to support India’s National Industrial Corridor Development Program (NICDP)
- $61 Million: loan under ‘Agartala City Urban Development Project’
- USD 300 million: loan to improve access to healthcare in urban areas
- USD 1.5 billion: to India for COVID-19 vaccine procurement
- $125 million: for Uttarakhand water supply and sanitation projects
- USD 500 million: to GoI for enhancing quality of school education mitigate the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on students’ learning
- USD 350 million: to improve urban services in India
SEBI set up Advisory Committee for Leveraging Regulatory and Technology Solutions; headed by Madhabi Puri Buch
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has set up an Advisory Committee for Leveraging Regulatory and Technology Solutions (ALeRTS) to enhance technological capabilities and explore suitable technology solutions for the early detection of market anomalies.
- ALeRTS, is a 7-member committee headed by Madhabi Puri Buch, former whole-time member of SEBI and has experts from various technology domains as members.
- ALeRTS will recommend future roadmaps and improvements in the various ongoing technology projects. It will also guide SEBI in designing and framing requirements for the different in-house systems
List of Latest Committee and Headed by
- Committee to determine RoDTEP rates for exports from SEZs, EOUs: Gopal Krishna Pillai
- ‘Central Vista Oversight Committee’ to expedite pace of project: Ratan P Watal
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment’s committee to review criteria for reservation for EWS: Ajay Bhushan Pandey
- NITI Aayog’s committee to formulate an action plan for Online Dispute Resolution (ODR): Arjan Kumar Sikri
- RBI’s advisory committee to assist RCL’s administrator Nageswar Rao: Sanjeev Nautiyal, Srinivasan Varadarajan, Praveen P Kadle
- Steering Committee for Advancing Local Value-Add and Exports (SCALE committee): Pawan Goenka
RBI introduced PCA framework for large NBFCs
- RBI has introduced prompt corrective action (PCA) framework for large non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) with effect from October 2022.
- The PCA framework will be applicable to All Deposit-Taking NBFCs (NBFCs-D) and All Non-Deposit Taking NBFCs (NBFCs-ND) in the Middle, Upper, and Top Layers. It will put restrictions on para-banks whenever vital financial metrics dip below prescribed threshold.
- The move will bring NBFCs almost on a par with banks in terms of supervision and regulatory reach. This follows scale-based regulations and revision in non-performing asset norms brought in by the regulator for the sector.
About Reserve Bank of India (RBI):
- Founded: April 1, 1935
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das
- Deputy Governors: Mahesh Kumar Jain, Michael Debabrata Patra, M Rajeshwar Rao, T Rabi Sankar
LIC launched ‘Dhan Rekha’ individual savings life insurance plan
- Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has introduced a new Non -Linked, Non-Participating, Individual Savings Life Insurance Plan named ‘Dhan Rekha’.
- The plan will offer special premium rates for female lives and it is also allowed for the third gender. The minimum sum assured under this plan is Rs 2 lakh and there is no limit for the maximum sum assured.
- The minimum age at entry ranges from 90 days to 8 years and the maximum age at entry ranges from 35 years to 65 years based on the chosen policy term.
- Sum assured: 2,00,000
- Maximum amount: Nil
- Survival benefits:
- 20 years- 10% of Basic Sum Assured at the end of each of 10th and 15th policy year.
- 30 years- 15% of Basic Sum Assured at the end of each of 15th, 20th and 25th policy year
About Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC):
- Founded: 1956
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairperson: M R Kumar
Appointment and Resignation
Leena Nair appointed as global CEO of ‘Chanel’
- Leena Nair has been appointed as the new global Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of French fashion house ‘Chanel’.
- She will assume the office with effect from January 2021. She was working with Unilever for over 30 years, most recently as the chief of human resources and a member of the company’s executive committee.
- Chanel was founded in 1910 by fashion legend Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel as a hat boutique on rue Cambon in Paris.
List of World’s Top Company Indian Born CEO
- Microsoft- Satya Nadella
- Google– Sundar Pichai
- Twitter-Parag Agrawal
- IBM-Arvind Krishna
- Vimeo- Anjali Sud
Sunil Gavaskar honoured with SJFI Medal 2021
- The Sports Journalists’ Federation of India (SJFI) has decided to honour former Indian Cricketer and cricket commentator Sunil Manohar Gavaskar with its prestigious ‘SJFI Medal 2021’ at SJFI Annual General Meeting (AGM) in Guwahati, Assam.
- SJFI Medal is the highest honour of SJFI. SJFI was founded on 27th February 1976 at the Eden Gardens, Calcutta (now Kolkata), West Bengal.
Other SJFI Awards:
|SJFI Sportsman of the year 2021||Neeraj Chopra (Javelin)|
|SJFI Sportswoman of the year 2021||Mirabai Chanu (Weightlifting)|
|SJFI Team of the Year 2021||Indian Men’s Hockey team|
|SJFI Parathletes of the year 2021(Men)||Pramod Bhagat (Badminton)|
|Sumit Antil (Javelin)|
|SJFI Parathletes of the year 2021(Women)||Avani Lekhara (rifle shooter)|
|SJFI Special Recognition Award||Olympic Gold Quest (OGQ)|
Simone Biles named Time Magazine’s 2021 Athlete of the Year
- Simone Biles was named Time magazine’s 2021 Athlete of the Year. The world’s most decorated gymnast, a four-time Olympic medalist, was hailed for putting her mental health first when she withdrew from four event finals at the Tokyo Olympics.
- Despite the setback, the 24-year-old managed to earn a team all-around silver and a bronze in balance beam at the Tokyo Games.
Adani signed agreement with SECI for green power
- Adani Green Energy Ltd (AGEL) has signed a purchase agreement with Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) to supply 4,667 MW of green power.
- It is the world’s largest-ever green power purchase agreement (PPA). The agreement is part of a manufacturing-linked solar tender of 8,000 MW awarded to AGEL by SECI in June 2020.
- So far, AGEL has signed PPAs with SECI for a total generation capacity of close to 6,000 MW of the 8,000 MW awarded in 2020. The company expected to complete the balance of 2000 MW in the coming 2 to 3 months.
About Solar Energy Corporation of India Limited (SECI):
- Established: 20th September 2011
- Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi
- Chairman: Indu Shekhar Chaturvedi
- Managing Director: Suman Sharma
David Warner, Hayley Matthews declared ICC Player of the Month for November 2021
- Australia opener David Warner and West Indies all-rounder Hayley Matthews have been voted the ICC Players of the Month for November.
- Warner was the Player of the Tournament as Australia won their maiden T20 World Cup title. In four ODIs in November, Matthews scored 141 runs and claimed nine wickets, including a stunning 4/26 against Pakistan in Karachi.
ICC men’s & women’s player of the month 2021
- Jan: Rishabh Pant (Ind), Shabnim ismail (SA)
- Feb: Ashwin (Ind), Tammy Beaumont (Eng)
- Mar: Bhuvneswar Kumar (Ind), Lizelle Lee (SA)
- Apr: Babar Azam (Pak), Alyssa Healy (Aus)
- May: Mushfiqur Rahim (Ban), Kathryn Bryce (Scotland)
- June: Devon Conway (NZ), Sophie Ecclestone (Eng)
- July: Shakib Al Hasan (Ban), Stafanie Taylor (WI)
- August: Joe Root (Eng), Eimear Richardson (Ireland)
- Sep: Sandeep Lamichhane (Nepal), Heather Knight (England)
- Oct: Asif Ali (Pak), Laura Delany (Ireland)
Book and Author
Vice President released the book ‘Raj Kapoor: The Master at Work’; authored by Rahul Rawail
- Vice President of India, M Venkaiah Naidu released the book titled ‘Raj Kapoor: The Master At Work’ authored by Rahul Rawail.
- The book launch event was held at India Habitat Centre in New Delhi, coinciding with Raj Kapoor’s 97th birth anniversary. The vice president described the book as a “labour of love and dedication”.
16 December 2021: 50th Vijay Diwas observed
- In India, Vijay Diwas (also called Victory Day) is celebrated every year on December 16 to commemorate the victory of the Indian armed forces over Pakistan in the 1971 war.
- The country is celebrating the 50th Vijay Diwas in 2021. The Indo-Pakistan war of 1971 which began on December 3 lasted for 13 days and officially ended on December 16, after which Pakistan surrendered to India.
- It was on this day in 1971, the chief of the Pakistani forces, General AA Khan Niazi, along with 93 thousand troops, had surrendered unconditionally to the allied forces consisting of the Indian Army and Mukti Bahini. The end of the war also resulted in the subsequent secession of East Pakistan into Bangladesh.
Famous American author Anne Rice passed away
- Famous American gothic-fiction writer Anne Rice, best known for The Vampire Chronicles novel series, passed away in Rancho Mirage, California.
- She was widely known for her bestselling gothic novel, Interview with the Vampire, published in 1976 and was later adapted into a movie starring Tom Cruise in 1994.
- She went on to wrote sequels to the book, forming series called The Vampire Chronicles, Queen of the Damned.
- Other works: Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt, The Feast of All Saints, Pandora, Violin, The Witching Hour etc.
- Get FREE Study Materials & PDFs for IBPS, RBI, SBI, LIC AAO, LIC Assistant, NIACL & Other Exams Over the mail and Whatsapp
- Click here to Get Daily Wise Current Affairs