The Hindu Editorial Analysis
We all are aware of the importance of reading The Hindu newspaper with the aspect of improving reading ability, easily comprehending paragraphs, getting updated with the current events, improving essay writing and many more. For a banking aspirant it becomes necessary to read editorials for vocabulary. In this article we are going to discuss the points of today’s editorials with practice questions and important vocabs.
- A testy exchange in the Rajya Sabha between the Minister of State for Rural Development, Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti, and the Trinamool Congress MP, Jawhar Sircar, on the withholding of funds for the Mahatma Gandhi The National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) in West Bengal laid bare a key implementation issue — wage delays.
- A report by the non-profit organization LibTech India found that ₹2,744 crore was still due to workers for work done since December 26, 2021.
- The delay in the payment, which is contrary to what is stated in Section 3 of the NREG Act, has resulted in a drop in the number of households working under the scheme in the State — from 77 lakh during the pandemic years to 16 lakh in the current financial year.
- The current number falls short of the 49.25 lakh households which availed the scheme in the last pre-COVID-19 year as well.
- The Union Government in its response suggested that funds have been blocked only in West Bengal for “non-compliance with the directives of the Central government” and this pertains to prior fund misuse, but the Trinamool Congress government’s response is legitimate.
- The State has answered queries related to the misuse and the blocking of funds to workers; the fact that misuse has reportedly covered only a fraction of the grants suggests that workers are being unduly punished.
- Wage delays have been a chronic problem with MGNREGS, which, beyond being a form of insurance for the poorest rural households, was a boon during the pandemic years, giving succor not only to such households but also to migrant workers from urban areas as alternative employment.
- Earlier this year, the delays in funds disbursal to the States were on account of procedural delays and an overhauling of the Public Financial Management System (Finance Minis-try).
- This should not be a problem if the Union government sets aside adequate funds at the beginning of the financial year.
- What does the Union government suggest?
- What were the answers given by the states related to misuse?
- Adequate- enough for what you need
- Disbursal- The act of disbursing money
- Succor- sympathy given to somebody who is suffering or has problems
- Unduly- more than is necessary, acceptable, or reasonable
- Legitimate- reasonable or acceptable