The Hindu Editorial Analysis:
We all are aware of the importance of reading The Hindu newspaper with the aspect of improving reading ability, easily comprehending paragraphs, getting updated with the current events, improving essay writing and many more. For a banking aspirant it becomes necessary to read editorials for vocabulary. In this article we are going to discuss the points of today’s editorials with practice questions and important vocabs.
An open contest for the top post
- In India, a rare event is occurring which is an open contest for the top post had spotlighted the Congress.
- On October 17,2022 around 8000 delegates will vote to elect a new chief for the party outside the family member.
- This all happened due to the refusal of Mr.Rahul Gandhi as the new chief of the Congress party.
- Rahul Gandhi had also made it clear that neither he nor his mother Sonia Gandhi could not continue as president and his sister Priyanka Gandhi Vadra cannot contest.
- So now it has become an open contest for the topmost post of the party.
- Leaving the road clear for the open contest for the top post which is reserved for the Nehru-Gandhi family member.
- Gandhi’s ‘Bharat jodo yatra’ starting from the southern tip to North has also struck a chord with the people in the areas it has touched so far.
- Rahul Gandhi wanted the Chief Minister of Rajasthan Mr Ashok Gehlot to contest and initially he agreed but his MLAs wanted Gehlot to continue his office rather than contest because they did not want Sachin Pilot as the next CM who was in the rebellion of Gehlot.
- The Indian National Congress (INC) is undergoing a leadership change.In 2017,Rahul Gandhi was elected as the president of the party but in 2019 he stepped down after the party lost the general elections then Mrs.Sonia Gandhi was selected as the president by the party.
- Now this presidential election of the Congress party is going on after 20 years with no Nehru-Gandhi family member.
- Shashi Tharoor ,member of parliament (lok sabha),Mallikarjun Kharge, Member of Parliament (Rajya Sabha) and former minister of jharkhand KN Tripathi have filed their nomination letters for the presidential election.
- This contest is for the second most important positions in the Congress and the elected president will be tasked with the running of the organisation and Mr Gandhi will remain the head of the party.
- There is a valid perception that the family is balancing the scales in favour of one contestant i.e Mr.Shashi Tharoor and Mallikarjun Kharge.
- The promotion of Navjot Singh Sidhu in Punjab and the pressure on Mr Gehlot in Rajasthan have weakened the authority.
- The right and a true candidate should win, it does not matter Mr Kharge or Mr Tharoor.
- Whoever is chosen as the president of the party,he has only two years to lead the party before the 2024 general elections.
- Voting is expected on 17 October and the results will be declared by October 19.
- Who all have filed the nomination letters for the presidential election for the Congress party?
- Why Ashok Gehlot had stepped down from the contest?
- Around how many delegates will vote for the new chief of the party?
- Delegates- to appoint as one’s representative.
- Perception – the ability to understand or notice.
- Struck- to harm or attack somebody
- Spotlight – highlight, attention, fame etc.