Current Affairs | Daily GK Updates : 22nd May 2019
If you are preparing for Government Job Exams then it is very important for you to read the Daily GK Update 2019. All the important updates based on current affairs are included in this page. All the serious candidates are advised to bookmark this page and read the GK Update on daily basis. It will help you mug up the important current affairs for LIC AAO, IBPS, SBI PO, SSC, Railways and State Exam.
Current Affairs (National)
♦ Indian Railways improves operating ratio by a tad to 97.3% in FY19
- The Indian Railways has improved its operating ratio for 2018-19 to 97.3 per cent largely due to its largest customers — thermal power giant NTPC and cargo transport leader Container Corporation of India ltd (Concor). Operating ratio is calculated based on how much money the railways spends to earn each rupee.
- The government-owned companies gave freight advances to the tune of Rs 13,000 crore to the railways for its services that they will use in the current year. During the previous financial year, the railways’ operating ratio was 98.4 per cent.
♦ Amitabh Bachchan, Virat Kohli & Ratan Tata: The most trusted celebrities
- The Most Trusted Personality 2019 report released by research firm TRA Research reveals that actor Amitabh Bachchan is the most trusted Bollywood celebrity. The report includes 39 celebrities across cinema, sports, and business.
- The study was conducted across 16 cities and 2315 respondents.
♦ Taiwan Expo 2019 begins in Delhi
- Taiwan Expo 2019 began in New Delhi today. Representative of Taipei Economic and Cultural Centre Tien Chung-Kwang and Chairman of Taiwan External Trade Development Council, TAITRA James CF Huang inaugurated the three-day event in the presence of Joint Secretary Praveen Bonigala and ITPO Chairman LC Goyal.
- There are 10 theme pavilions at the expo focusing on green products, health care, agriculture, tourism, biotechnology and electrical equipments. 150 exhibitors are showcasing their products in 230 stalls.
Banking and Finance
♦ Make Microsoft president new FB CEO: Ex-security chief
- Mired in several privacy scandals, Facebook must hire Microsoft President Brad Smith as its new CEO as it is right time for Mark Zuckerberg to step down, a former Facebook security chief has stressed.
- Speaking at the Collision Tech Conference in Toronto on Tuesday, Alex Stamos said Zuckerberg needs to give up some of his control of Facebook and hire a new CEO, reports CNN.
- “There is a legitimate argument that he has too much power. He needs to give up some of that power,” Stamos was quoted as saying.
♦ Mastercard starts deleting Indian transactions data stored overseas
- Global payment services provider Mastercard on Tuesday said it has already started deleting data related to Indian transactions stored overseas and the process is likely to be completed by the end of this year.
- The company also said it is in compliance with the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) regulations on data localisation as all domestic data from October last year has already been stored in the country. “We have already started storing all domestic data on soil and have started deleting the data overseas,” said Vikas Varma, senior vice-president.
♦ Indian economy projected to grow at 7.1% in FY20: UN report
- India’s economy is projected to grow at 7.1 per cent in fiscal year 2020 on the back of strong domestic consumption and investment but the GDP growth is a downward revision from the 7.4 per cent estimated in January this year, according to a report by the United Nations.
- The World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) 2019 Mid-year Update, released here Tuesday, said that the Indian economy, which generates two-thirds of the regional output in South Asia, expanded by 7.2 per cent in 2018.
- “Strong domestic consumption and investment will continue to support growth, which is projected at 7.0 per cent in 2019 and 7.1 per cent in 2020,” the report said.
♦ Former foreign secretary Shyam Saran to be conferred with Japan’s ‘Order of the Rising Sun’ award
- Former foreign secretary Shyam Saran will be conferred with Japan’s second highest national award for his contributions to strengthen the strategic ties and enhancing mutual understanding between India and Japan.
- The Government of Japan on Tuesday announced that in its 2019 Spring Imperial Decorations, it will confer 72-year-old Saran, ‘the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star’. Saran, who was India’s Foreign Secretary during 2004-2006, has played an important role to elevate Japan-India relationship to strategic partnership, the Embassy of Japan said in a statement.
♦ INMA Reveals Global Media Awards Winners
- Helsingin Sanomat’s “The Land of Free Press,” a multi-media campaign touting the impact of its journalism amid a rising tide of fake news and misinformation, won the coveted INMA Global Media Awards “Best in Show,” joining 35 companies taking home top prizes in growing brand, audience, and revenue.
- Produced by the International News Media Association (INMA), the 2019 Global Media Awards were presented today before more than 400 delegates attending the closing dinner of the INMA World Congress of News Media at the Edison Ballroom in New York’s Times Square.
♦ Man Booker International prize announced; Jokha Alharthi wins for Celestial Bodies
- Jokha Alharthi, the first female Omani novelist to be translated into English, has won the Man Booker International prize, 2019 for her novel Celestial Bodies. The author will share the prize money £50,000 (approximately Rs 45 lakh) equally with her translator Marilyn Booth.
- Celestial Bodies, a compelling tale of love and heartbreak, written in Arabic, is posited in the Omani village of al-Awafi and traces the lives of sisters: Mayya, Asma and Khawla.
♦ Pakistan appoints Moin-ul-Haq as India’s new envoy to restart process of engagement with new govt
- Career diplomat Moin-ul-Haq has been appointed as Pakistan’s new High Commissioner to India to start a new process of engagement with the country where a new government will be formed soon, amid strained relations between the two nuclear-armed neighbours.
- Prime Minister Imran Khan on Monday approved appointments of over two dozen ambassadors in various countries including India, China and Japan.
♦ ISRO successfully launches earth observation satellite RISAT-2B
- In a pre-dawn launch on Wednesday, Indian Space Research Organisation successfully launched RISAT-2B, a radar imaging earth observation satellite, using PSLV-CA from Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota. The satellite would enhance the country’s surveillance capabilities among others.
- As the 25-hour countdown which began Tuesday concluded, the agency’s trusted workhorse Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C46) blasted off at 5.30 am from the first launch pad of the Satish Dhawan Space Centre here on its 48th mission, carrying the 615 kg satellite.
♦ MoU for Joint Collaboration on Cancer Research
- The Department of Biotechnology (DBT), M/o Science and Technology and the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Government of India today signed an MOU for supporting joint collaborative research programmes in the area of Cancer. Signing the MoU, Dr Renu Swarup, Secretary DBT and Shri K N Vyas, Secretary DAE expressed solidarity to work towards the common goal of tackling cancer and this is expected to bring a quantum change in the present scenario of cancer research.
- The DAE is represented by its Tata Memorial Centre and which also functions as the coordinating centre on behalf of The National Cancer Grid of India.
- This MOU shall help strengthen the various initiatives specifically for cancer viz. Strategizing and prioritizing cancer research, development of new and affordable technologies, jointly design and fund clinical trials, coordinate and collaborate for translational research, interventions, training of manpower and infrastructure development.
♦ Successful Firing of Brahmos Air Launched Missile from Su-30 MKI Aircraft
- Today, IAF successfully fired the BrahMos air version missile from its frontline Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft. The launch from the aircraft was smooth and the missile followed the desired trajectory before directly hitting the land target.
- The air launched BrahMos missile is a 2.5 ton supersonic air to surface cruise missile with ranges of close to 300 km, designed and developed by BAPL.
Read it on App (News & Updates)
- The Hindu Review April 2019 in (Bilingual) | Current Affairs PDF : Download Now
- GK Capsule for IDBI Assistant Manager 2019 : Download PDF from here
- LIC AAO Prelims Memory Based Paper 2019 : Download here
- SBI Clerk Prelims 2019 Mock Test Papers : Download PDF
- LIC AAO 2019 : Insurance Awareness and Financial Market E-Book (Bilingual) Hindi+English Download PDF
- More Daily Current Affairs Click here
- Get Free PDFs
- Banking Awareness Study Notes
SBI PO/Clerk 2019 Preparation Kit PDF
I challenge you will get Best Content in Our PDFs with Detail solutions and Latest Pattern
Memory Based Puzzle E-book | 2016-19 Exams Covered
Caselet Data Interpretation 200 Questions
|Get PDF here|
|Puzzle & Seating Arrangement E-Book for BANK PO MAINS (Vol-1)|
ARITHMETIC DATA INTERPRETATION 2019 E-book
|Get PDF here|
|The Banking Awareness 500 MCQs E-book| Bilingual (Hindi + English)|
|High Level DATA INTERPRETATION Practice E-BOOK|
- WhatsApp Group Join here
- Telegram Group:- Click Here
- Telegram Channel: Click here
- Like & Follow our Facebook Page:- Click here
- Join our Facebook Group:- Click Here
How to Access on App:-
- Go to Playstore search Ambitious Baba or Click here to Install App
- After Install Login with Google Account or Facebook Account